TENURE: To be advised
Grade II listed Georgian Mansion estate with 16 acres incl. formal grounds, lakes and moats
"Five ground floor reception rooms incl. Drawing Room, Ballroom, Family Room, Dining Room, Library plus Kitchen/Breakfast room
"Seven first floor bedrooms plus kitchen, offices and six bath/shower rooms
"Cellars on lower ground floor including a Wine Cellar
"Second floor one bedroom apartment plus four bedrooms and bath/shower rooms
"Separate Offices with their own Kitchen and Bathrooms
"Separate three bedroom cottage in need of renovation
"Garaging and storage rooms
A Grade II listed Georgian Country House situated in 16 acres of parkland within the heart of the Cambridgeshire countryside. The property itself was originally constructed in 1800 by the renowned architect, George Byfield, for Sir James Duberley and remained in his family until 1940. It is a house of both architectural and historic interest and provides in excess of 20,000 sq. ft of useable space over three floors.
History and Heritage There are historic references to a house on the site since 1116 and there are foundations of a previous 17th century house visible in the cellars. From 1599 Sir Oliver Cromwell was a tenant of the Gaynes Hall Estate for 21 years. During World War II the house was requisitioned and used by the Special Operations Executive (SOE) which was set up by Winston Churchill to coordinate sabotage and covert operations behind enemy lines. After the war, it was used as offices and the Governor's residence for Gaynes Hall borstal until its closure in 1983. In more recent years it has been used as a company headquarters and a private residence. There is in excess of 20,000 sq. ft. of accommodation over three floors.
Accommodation The house retains many period and traditional features including the double doorway entrance, which is flanked by Pilasters and has glazed doors with fanlights and side lights. There is an oval entrance hall, with flanking round head niches and early 19th century moulded panelling which continues through to the ground floor rooms, hall and staircase. The hall is galleried with a top lit glazed dome and ceiling and an open string staircase of four flights. In addition, there are panelled shutters and six panelled doors. One of the reception rooms has a 19th century white marble fireplace and there is a late 17th century moulded fireplace in another room. A family crest, seen in many of the principal rooms, makes reference to the early import of exotic fruits as is visible on the detailed cornicing. There is also a three-bedroom cottage within the grounds requiring full modernisation and refurbishment.
Perry is a village and civil parish in Cambridgeshire which lies approximately 8 miles south-west of Huntingdon. It is in Huntingdonshire which is a district of Cambridgeshire as well as being a historic county of England. Perry lies on the shore of a reservoir, Grafham Water, just 8 miles from the market town of St Neots and 4 miles from the A1 Buckden. Huntingdon station is approximately 8 miles away and has rail links to London Kings Cross in 60 minutes. The independent Harpur Trust schools can also be found in Bedford and Kimbolton School is approximately 4 miles away.